Paul Addresses the Areopagus
22 So Paul, standing in the midst of the Areopagus, said: “Men of Athens, I perceive that in every way you are very religious. 23 For as I passed along and observed the objects of your worship, I found also an altar with this inscription, p‘To the unknown god.’ pWhat therefore you worship qas unknown, this I proclaim to you…
I used to think that I had to destroy the point of view of people who did not believe, in order to rebuild a worldview on the ashes of their decimated beliefs. Paul here does not seem to have that in mind. He addresses those of the Areopagus with dignity. “I perceive that in every way your are very religious.” In today’s vernacular this could be an insult. However, I don’t think that is what Paul is meaning. It seems that believing in something beyond the here and now is a good thing. It recognizes the holy or sacred.
Now this is not to say that Paul does not challenge. As you get to the end of his talk on Mars Hill he is expressing God’s call for all to repent, but his approach is not the stereotypical college evangelist who tells them they are all bound for hell just to get their attention.
Paul has done his homework. He has walked the streets of Athens, observing their sacred objects and shrines. He has read Greek poets and authors who will help him connect with Athens. He understands where the Athenians are…
He has prayed for them. And God has given Paul the message for this crowd.
Athens was a modern city in the sense that it was pluralistic. There was a Jewish quarter. There were merchants in the marketplace that he engaged daily. There were Greek philosophers: hedonists those who loved pleasure and the stoics who wouldn’t know pleasure if it … patted them on the shoulder.
What I find encouraging is Paul had something to say in ALL these arenas. Because the gospel of Jesus speaks to all peoples, everywhere.
If the gospel can be contextualized in ancient Greece with the pluralism of that culture, it can be communicated to Phoenix, to London, and to Istanbul. Who does not want to hear that the Maker of the Universe is concerned about your life? That He went to ultimate lengths to secure your pardon and acceptance? That His desire is to draw you close and transform your existence into something beautiful and remarkable? That His Son brings this good news to you and that He gave His life for you, so that you would not have to endure the just punishment that comes from thumbing your nose at Him? What if God left clues around the world embedded in every culture, that He was real, and He was a rescuing God?
What if that love is what we are all hoping for? And it really is available to all peoples, regardless of your religious or areligious backgrounds? Wouldn’t it be nice of God were indeed for us?
No comments:
Post a Comment