Tuesday, March 2, 2010

He has a place for you...

As we are coursing through the "clean pages" of the Book, Numbers to be specific, I was struck with the Lord's clear direction to the families of the Levites. He had specific duties for all the families down to who carried what, as the people moved along. Some times as I read through these oft-neglected pages, all I do is finish and move on not seeing any New Covenant implications.

But I think there is something here for me and for you.

The following passages are all from Numbers 3 and 4.

This is the service of the sons of Kohath in the tent of meeting: the most holy things.

“And Eleazar the son of Aaron the priest shall have charge of the oil for the light, the fragrant incense, the regular grain offering..."

“As for the sons of Merari, you shall list them by their clans and their fathers' houses. From thirty years old up to fifty years old, you shall list them, everyone who can come on duty, to do the service of the tent of meeting. 31 And this is what they are charged to carry, as the whole of their service in the tent of meeting: the frames of the tabernacle..."

"This is the service of the clans of the Gershonites, in serving and bearing burdens: they shall carry the curtains of the tabernacle and the tent of meeting..."

All this specialization was necessary in order to function as a moving worshipping people. God had a place for each one. Everyone's part was useful in the day to day operation of the tabernacle and the life of the people.

Fast forward to our day...No temple...No moving parts...no physical holy place...irrelevant? I don't think so.

I Cor.12.12 For just as the body is one and has many members, and all the members of the body, though many, are one body, so it is with Christ. 13 For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body— Jews or Greeks, slaves or free—and all were made to drink of one Spirit.

14 For the body does not consist of one member but of many. 15 If the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,” that would not make it any less a part of the body. 16 And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body,” that would not make it any less a part of the body. 17 If the whole body were an eye, where would be the sense of hearing? If the whole body were an ear, where would be the sense of smell? 18 But as it is, God arranged the members in the body, each one of them, as he chose.

So God has purpose for each one of us. There are no dispensable members in Christ's kingdom. You have a part to play. God arranged the us in the body, for the mutual building up and encouragement.

Meaning, purpose and direction can be understood and appreciated when you and I understand where we fit in God's economy. If there is some doubt as where you belong, start with the fact that you belong, if you have belonged to JESUS. Then seek God and get busy serving one another. Do what you have a passion to do. See what others see in you who you trust. You and I have a special work to do...to the praise of His glory!

1 comment:

Faith My Eyes said...

Wow, what a good word! I had never thought of temple service in light of the new covenant. It certainly makes sense that Paul's words in I Corinthians 12 would carry weight even for OT saints in some way or other. So if God has a special purpose for each of His children from Adam through you and me, I wonder what the implications would be for heaven. Clearly, he doesn't just get us to the end of human history and simply drop this program of role-playing. What an exciting thought that we would have the opportunity to be His instruments for His glory even in glory!!