Sunday, August 15, 2010

I Have A NEW Favorite Football Team!

So I am not a huge sports fan. I enjoy sports. I love to play tennis, but I have not been an avid fan of a team since my high school days. All that is changed. I have a new favorite team. I am now a fan of the Cholla Magnet High CHARGERS! Go Chargers! Yeah!!

Ok, I am also a fan of the Chargers new head coach Laurence Ruhf. He just sounds like a great coach. Hey Coach ROUGH!

So, you have probably never heard of the Cholla Magnet High Chargers. They have no dynasty of domination in Tucson or any such accolades. In fact, in the last 3 years they have lost …[drum roll]…28 games. Their opponents have outscored them 1173-244. OUCH. So why choose them?

Sports, to me, is a metaphor for life.

This team, if you read through the article posted here, has had no discipline or accountability. They have assumed an attitude of “whatever”. Losing is contagious, and lack of discipline and self-dignity, is a recipe for disaster.

The team was devastated and ashamed to wear their jerseys to school on game day. "You guys suck!" was a refrain heard in the hallways. It was a bad situation. If you have followed the Iowa Hawkeyes in the 1970s or the Arizona Cardinals, almost since they arrived in AZ. You know how bad things can get.

Enters our new head coach, Laurence Ruhf. He wants to change the culture and transform the Chargers into a real team! So what did he do when 8 players showed up late for practice, they were put to work, doing extra up-downs. When 2 starters skipped practices they were told they would have to make up all the running their team mates had done prior to playing the game.

Some of these players might find that hard work, commitment, and discipline will serve them throughout their lives. I am banking on it.

So I have a new favorite football team. Would you join me?

I am committing to go to the Chargers game after they win their 2nd game. I will be there for their 3rd win this year. Who’s with me?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So you know the REST OF THE STORY...the Chargers went on to a 6-4, that is 3 years worth of wins in the previous situation.

Hats off to Coach Ruhf who has turned the team around and taught them all some serious life lessons in the process.

Go Chargers!!

Unknown said...

Postscript: The Chargers finished 6-4. That is a WINNING SEASON!!!